What could possibly make French Toast better? How about taking two slices, and stuffing them with Nutella and strawberries? You can thank me later…
I’ve never been a breakfast person. Even when I was a child I used to fight enforced breakfast times. For a short while my parents were so worried about me not eating any breakfast they started letting me have Scotch pancakes every morning! But even the promise of pancakes and golden syrup couldn’t convince me to eat breakfast every day.
Now, breakfast is reserved for special occasions and more often than not it actually ends up being brunch. I’m a big fan of pancakes and waffles but my all time favourite is French Toast! I love the rich, creamy custard best served with plenty of sugar, chocolate and fruit. What’s not to love?
Now I can’t promise you won’t fall into a chocolatey food coma but I can give you the recipe which may just change your breakfast habbits for ever…
- 4 slices of white bread
- 2 large eggs
- 100ml double cream
- 50ml milk
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- Butter for cooking
- 4 tbsp Nutella (or similar chocolate spread)
- 8 strawberries (sliced)
- Spread the nutella on to one side of each slice of bread.
- Lay out the strawberries on two of the slices of bread.
- Use the other two slices of bread to make a Nutella and strawberry sandwich - give them a good push down to meld the two slices of bread together
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, cream, milk and vanilla.
- Place each sandwich into the custard mix, let it soak up the mix for a few moments before flipping and soaking the other side in the custard.
- Heat a knob of butter in a griddle pan on a high heat.
- Once the butter has melted, sprinkle the sandwiches with brown sugar and place straight into the pan.
- Cook for 2 - 5 minutes until the custard has cooked through and the outside is crispy.
- Flip over and cook on the other side for another 2 - 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and allow to cool slightly before cutting in half and enjoying!
If the idea of two custard soaked slices of bread, sandwiched together with warm gooey chocolate and sweet strawberries doesn’t sound awesome to you, just watch this. Here’s how to make my Nutella and Strawberry Stuffed French Toast. –
It was my first attempt at filming a recipe – I hope you enjoyed it!
The music comes from http://freeSFX.co.uk and is called First Day, uploaded by music4tv. Thanks to free SFX for the music and to Jon for helping me set up the shots!