Spiced Berry Porridge
Snuggle up on Christmas morning with a steaming, creamy bowl of spiced berry porridge.
Wake up happy
There’s nothing that makes me happier when I wake up then knowing breakfast isn’t too far away. Whether it’s pancakes, waffles or a big bowl of porridge, you can guarantee that the first thing I think about when I wake up is food. It’s not called break-fast for nothing!
In the past, I’ve cooked up elaborate breakfasts for Christmas morning but who has the time to be cooking up big breakfasts when they could be opening presents or making a start on Christmas dinner.
This year I’ve decided to share a recipe that can be made in just 10 minutes (even less if you make a big batch of the compote in advance!)
How to make perfect porridge
If you want to make the perfect bowl of creamy, steaming porridge then the first thing you have to do is throw out instant oats. I know they are quick and easy. Instant oats have their time and place but its not for Christmas breakfast.
Head to the store and make sure you buy some decent organic, jumbo oats. (My favourite are Flahavan’s). They take longer to cook but are still pretty damn quick and easy to make. They are also well worth the effort as they create a delicious creamy porridge with a bit of bite!
Next you want to add in your milk (plant based milks are absolutely fine, in fact my favourite to use for porridge is almond or hazelnut milk). You need more than you think as the jumbo oats will suck it up before they break down.
But the real secret to the perfect porridge is stirring! You can make this recipe in the microwave but it’s best made on the hob when its given lots of TLC (stirring).
What makes this porridge perfect for Christmas is the winter berry compote piled high on top. Spiced with cinnamon and star anise, the contrast of sweet and sour and hot and cold makes this bowl of porridge extra special.
You can use any winter berries you can get your hands on but I like to use a mix of blackberries, blackcurrants, red currants, cherries and (of course) cranberries.
The compote will keep for a week in the fridge (thanks to the high sugar content) so you can make a big batch in advance and enjoy it every day over the holidays.
This delicious bowl of spiced berry porridge is quick, easy and absolutely loaded with fibre! The perfect way to start your Christmas day!
Spiced Berry Porridge
For the porridge
- 50 g jumbo oats
- 300 ml milk
- 1 pinch salt
To make the compote
- Add the fruit, orange juice, sugar and spices to a saucepan and place on a medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Turn the heat up high until the liquid starts to simmer, stirring regularly until the berries start to burst.
- Place to one side while you make the porridge.
To make on the hob
- Add the oats to a saucepan along with the milk and salt.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan and to help the oats break down.
To make in the microwave
- Mix the porridge oats, milk or water and a pinch of salt in a deep microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave on 'high' for 2 and a half minutes.
- Remove the porridge from the microwave and stir well.
- Place back in the microwave and heat on 'high' for another 2 minutes.
- Let the porridge stand for a minute before serving.
- Spoon the porridge into a bowl and top with the berry compote.