Hot Mexican Pickles
Pickles are a big thing right now. Every time I turn on the TV or pick up a magazine I see chefs telling us that pickles are not only seriously tasty but also good for us. This combination of punchy flavour and guilt free enjoyment means that pickles are HOT right now. These Mexican Pickles are not only hot because of the pickled radishes and jalapeños but because they are bang on trend!
Most of us will be familiar with that vinegary jar of pickled jalapeños which are pulled out of the back of the cupboard when fajita night comes around, but what some of you may not know is that hot pickled carrots are also served up during a Mexican feast. By combining the two veggies with baby cucumbers, spring onions, radish and coriander, I’ve created a spicy condiment that not only works well with Mexican food but can jazz up any grilled fish or meat dish.
So I admit, these aren’t this isn’t the most authentic of pickle recipes but that doesn’t mean they feel out of place on a taco or two. I’ll be honest I don’t love these with beef tacos. Instead I prefer serving them with carnitas, shredded chicken or fish tacos. I’ve also had these pickles with a Mexican inspired prawn salad as well as on the edge of these roasted red peppers and sweet potato quesadilas.
Recipe for Hot Mexican Pickles
Hot Mexican Pickles
- 2 x 750ml jars
- First begin by sterilising your jars and place to one side.
- Slice the vegetables and garlic thinly into rounds and divide evenly between the two jars along with the coriander leaves.
- In a heavy bottomed pan heat the vinegar slowly with the sugar and salt until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Pour over the vegetables and immediately put the tops on to the jars and seal tightly.
- Allow the jars to cool completely before storing in a cool dark place.
I love the process of pickling food. Freezing is always sold as the best way of preserving food but pickling is by far my preservation method of choice. I love that you capture the veggies in their raw, crunchy state and impact a lovely sharp tang from the vinegar or citrus being used to pickle.
What I love most about these Hot Mexican Pickles is not only that they have the distinctive vinegar hit of a pickle, but that they also have the heat of the jalapeños and peppery kick of the radish, but that they also have the sweetness of the carrots and a pinch of salt or two for good measure.
If I’m perfectly honest I love these so much that I could (and have) eaten these straight out of the jar. If you’d rather eat my Hot Mexican Pickles with something other than just a fork, why not try it with one of these tasty Mexican recipes from some of my favourite food bloggers in the UK.
- Chocolate Mole Enchiladas from Tin and Thyme
- Steak Tostadas from The Foodie Couple Blog
- Mexican Pulled Pork from Emily’s Recipes and Reviews
- Roasted Red Pepper and Sweet Potato Quesadillas from Supper in the Suburbs (me!)
- Deconstructed Chicken Fajita Salad from Eats Amazing
- Lentil Tacos from Recipes from a Pantry
- Slow cooked Pibil Pork from It’s Not Easy Being Greedy
- Mexican Beef Stew from Gingey Bites
- Mexican Pulled Jackfruit from Emily’s Recipes and Reviews
- Black Bean Tacos from Supper in the Suburbs (me!)