Warm Salad Series: Golden Bulgar Wheat Salad
|Why not enjoy this salad with a good book?|
Over the last four weeks I have posted a series of salad recipes that are perfect for staying healthy while the dark nights close in and the air becomes cold. Today is no exception, as I bring you a Golden Bulgur Wheat Salad. The spicy salad is filling, super tasty, and jam packed with roasted veggies to keep you healthy.
Served warm and tossed with baby spinach leaves, this recipe is perfect as we move into autumn. As Halloween creeps up, you may also want to swap the butternut squash with pumpkin!
Unlike my other recipes this one takes a little longer in the preparation department; but it will keep you fuller for longer with that lovely warm feeling thanks to the roasted vegetables and the chilli and paprika heat.
Bulgur wheat was a bit of a mystery to me before I came up with this recipe. It’s very similar to cous cous, but is more substantial in size, texture and flavour which makes it a perfect addition to this salad. The longer the vegetables are roasted the sweeter they become, contrasting with the chilli and spinach. The apricots also give the salad an extra zing to brighten up your lunchtime!
Golden Bulgur Wheat Salad
- Place the squash in a pan and drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake in an oven for 30mins and gas mark five until they begin to soften.
- Then add in the red pepper, apricots and garlic (all roughly chopped).
- Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and let bake for another 20mins or until soft and golden.
- While the vegetable are cooking, place the bulgur wheat in a bowl with the paprika and chilli then cover roughly 1cm above the grains with boiling water.
- Place a tea towel over the bowl and leave the bulgur wheat to soak up the water for roughly 30mins.
- Once the bulgur wheat and vegetables have cooked, stir together then toss with the baby leaf spinach.
- Serve hot!
Top Tips: For some added protein why not add in chicken or turkey breast? Shredded beetroot also works really well!