Lighter Potato Salad with Crème Fraîche and Dill
Lighten up your potato salad with the addition of crème fraîche and dill this summer! The must have side dish for any BBQ!
No mayo here!
Everyone knows that potato salad is a MUST have at any BBQ. Who doesn’t want a side of creamy potatoes with their grilled meat?! It’s a match made in heaven. As much as I love a mayo slathered potato salad, sometimes its nice to mix things up and crème fraîche is a great alternative.
In addition to crème fraîche I also add spring onions, lemon juice, plenty of salt and fresh dill. Dried dill will do just fine but parsley is also a lovely herb to add if you can’t get hold of any. A sprinkling of cress adds a peppery finish.
The resulting dish is much lighter, brighter and more fresh than your average mayonnaise loaded potato salad. It will also be lower in calories! Win-win!
Whether you’re cooking for a crowd, or simply looking for a salad to serve alongside dinner in the week, this is a potato salad recipe you need to have in your repertoire.
I used new potatoes and purple spring onions but feel free to use whatever potatoes and spring onions you have to hand. Brownie points if you grew them yourself!
Lighter Potato Salad with crème fraîche and dill
- 500 grams new potatoes
- 150 millilitres reduced fat crème fraîche
- 1/2 lemon juice only
- 4 spring onions sliced
- 3 tbsp dill fresh, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp cress
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Gently boil the potatoes until tender (roughly 20-25 minutes).
- Drain and run under cold water.
- Leave to cool before cutting in half (or quarters if particularly large).
- Stir the crème fraîche and lemon juice through the potatoes.
- Add the spring onions, dill and cress.
- Season with the salt and pepper to taste.