Vegan Bacon Hash
This Vegan Bacon Hash is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I’ll have extra gherkins with mine. Get the recipe below.
Battle of the bacon
Whether you’re moving from meat eater to vegetarian or vegan, the one thing you might be a little apprehensive about missing out on is bacon. It’s smoky saltiness is something that food scientists have struggled to recreate, until now that is. I’ve tried as many different varieties as I can and I’m pleased to say that there are lots of different brands to choose from. But, for this particular recipe there is one I recommend above the rest. Let me explain why. Most vegan bacon on the market comes as thin, American style rashers. But sometimes you need something a little more substantial with extra smokey flavour and a bit more bite. That’s where the plant based bacon rashers from THIS come into their own. They are the thickest, meatiest vegan bacon rashers on the market making them perfect for any dish where bacon is the star. Before I go any further I must say one thing – I’m not sponsored by THIS in any way shape or form. I genuinely think they are the best bacon rashers out there. But if you can’t get hold of them or prefer another brand that’s absolutely fine too! Waitrose vegan bacon rashers would be my second choice if THIS weren’t available.
As well as vegan bacon, you’re going to need a few other simple ingredients for this recipe: potatoes, onion, garlic, pickled cucumbers (aka gherkins) and American mustard to serve. You get brownie points if you’ve made the gherkins yourself. You can find my recipe for gherkins here. All that’s left is to fry the potatoes, onion and bacon until they are cooked through and crispy on the outside! The vinegary gherkins and the sharp mustard cut through the fattiness of the friend vegetables and the smoky, saltiness of the bacon. It’s the type of meal that makes you wish you cooked breakfast everyday! Of course Vegan Bacon Hash doesn’t just have to be enjoyed at breakfast time. This works just as well served up for brunch, lunch, dinner or even as a hangover cure after a few drinks on a night out! (You can thank me later…)
All that’s left to do now is scroll down for the recipe in full.
Vegan Bacon Hash
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 250 grams potato skin on, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 large white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to season
- 8 rashers vegan bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 pickled cucumbers sliced
- American mustard to serve
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed frying pan until you can feel the heat rising above the oil.
- Add the potatoes to the pan making sure they aren't too crowded (they should all be touching the bottom of the pan - cook in batches if this wouldn't otherwise be possible).
- Cook the potatoes on a medium to high heat so that they sizzle.
- Do not stir the potatoes until they have begun to brown underneath.
- Turn occasionally until all sides have begun to brown.
- Add the onion to the pan along with a pinch of salt, the minced garlic and the vegan bacon.
- Continue to cook on a medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until the onion has softened and the vegan bacon is cooked through.
- Season well and serve while still hot by scattering the sliced gherkins on top and with a squirt or two of American mustard.
More breakfast inspiration
Just because you’re enjoying a plant based diet doesn’t mean you have to miss out on cooked breakfasts! Why not try one of these other delicious vegan breakfast recipes.