Vegan Savoury Crêpes
Get your cheese-y crêpe fix with this plant based pancake made from chickpea flour! Scroll down for the recipe below.
What do you think of when you hear the word pancake? Is it a big stack of fluffy american style pancakes dripping with butter or syrup? Or perhaps you prefer the chocolate-y kind topped with fresh berries and hot fudge sauce? As much as I love sweet pancakes for breakfast, brunch or pudding, sometimes I wants something savoury and these vegan savoury crêpes hit the spot. Have you ever had a two course pancake meal? How about a cheese-y crêpe for your main and a huge stack of blueberry pancakes for pudding? Sounds great right! So lets get to making the crepes.
The trick to making vegan savoury pancakes is chickpea flour (also known as gram flour). It smells a little strange when it has not been cooked but when whisked up with water, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder and salt it transforms into a tasty batter that makes light and fluffy crêpes. To take it up a notch, I also add my favourite vegan cheese (Applewood). It melts right into the batter! This pancake batter is the perfect base for any combination of savoury toppings you want to add: facon, garlic mushrooms, wilted spinach, grilled tomatoes, maybe even more cheese?!
Quick to make, nutritious and delicious; these vegan savoury crepes are perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
This recipe makes just one crêpe so you can easily scale it up to make as many as you need.
Vegan Savoury Crêpes
- Whisk together the chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper so that they are well combined.
- Slowly add the water to the flour mix, whisking well so that you have a smooth batter.
- Add in the vegan cheese and mix to ensure its evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Oil a crêpe (or frying) pan and put on a medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, pour the batter into the pan and make sure it's evenly spread.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until the top of the crêpe is no longer wet and the underside has begun to brown and the edges crisp.
- Using a spatula, carefully loosen the crêpe and flip it over.
- Cook for another 3-5 minutes until it is lightly browned and there is no wet batter left.
- Serve with your favourite sautéed veggies.