Spanish style Shakshuka with green chilli and chorizo
This Spanish inspired Shakshuka is flavoured with green chillies, chorizo and finished with 2 large eggs. These baked eggs are a great way to start the day.
A spicy Spanish breakfast
Shakshuka is one of those dishes that has taken over Instagram. Shakshuka and avocado on toast are BIG in the brunch industry.
The reason for its popularity has to be its simplicity. If you have a skillet or similar oven proof pan you can make it as a one pot dish. Otherwise, all you have to do is fry a few ingredients on the hob before transferring them to the oven to finish off the eggs.
You can easily go from fridge to table in just 30 minutes making it the perfect quick breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. I could happily eat a bowl of it as it is, but it is also delicious mopped up with a hunk of sourdough or ciabatta.
Shakshuka is traditionally a North-African dish that is also popular in the Middle-East but the basic ingredients are so simple that it can easily be adapted to suit any style.
I’ve put a twist on this popular recipe by adding spicy, Spanish chorizo and fiery green chillies. It’s worth using a good quality paprika and Spanish saffron too to add a smoky depth of flavour.
What I love about this dish is that it shows just how versatile eggs are. I’ve always been a lover of eggs whether its a cheese and mushroom omelette, scrambled eggs on toast or a fried egg bap they make the perfect meal.
The beauty of shakshuka is that it doesn’t require any skill to cook. Shakshuka translates to “haphazard” or “all mixed up”. If you can master stirring together a few delicious ingredients and cracking eggs into the mix then you’ve got this recipe sussed. Yet again eggs save the day, making a delicious, balanced dish.
Make it vegan
For a plant based alternative, why not check out my Vegan Shakshuka recipe which replaces eggs with silken tofu flavoured with kala namak (black salt).
Spanish Shakshuka with Green Chillies and Chorizo
- olive oil
- 1 small white onion thinly sliced
- 130 grams chorizo diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 green chillies sliced
- 150 grams kale or spinach
- 1 salad tomato cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 400 grams chopped tomatoes tinned
- 2 strands spanish saffron
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5.
- Heat a olive oil in a pan along with the sliced onion and chorizo for 5 minutes or until the onions start to soften.
- Add the chillies and garlic into the pan and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add the tomato and kale to the pan, cook for 2 minutes of until the kale has begun to wilt before adding the spices and cooking for a further two minutes.
- Pour the chopped tomatoes into the pan, heat on medium until bubbling.
- Sppon the mix into an oven dish and make two wells, crack an egg into each well and season both eggs with a little salt and pepper.
- Place the dish into the centre of the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the egg white is just cooked but the egg yolk is still runny.
- Serve with a sprinkling of parsley.
More breakfast recipes
If you like this Spanish inspired Shakshuka, you might like some of these other delicious breakfast and brunch recipes where eggs are the star of the show.
More dishes inspired by Spain
If you want to see more dishes that incorporate classic Spanish flavours then check out my Spanish recipe archive including two different types of sangria and chorizo meatballs and padron peppers.
If you make this or any other recipes on the blog, please do leave a rating and a comments. I love to hear your feedback.