Cool Mango Salsa
This Cool Mango Salsa is the perfect accompaniment to fish tacos, pulled pork and even beef barbacoa. It’s essential for every Mexican meal!
It’s funny how your tastes change as you get older. When Jon and I first met I hadn’t really ventured into the world of spicy foods. He introduced me to curries and my love of spice grew from there. The bizarre thing is, Jon’s tolerance to spice has completely gone down hill since we met!
To keep Jon happy whenever I cook a Mexican feast I now make sure that there’s a good mix of mild and spicy dishes on the menu. This Cool Mango Salsa has become an absolute must as it adds something a little fresh, zesty and sweet to what is normally a rich, spicy meal.
Rather than being packed full of chilli, this salsa is made up of ripe and juicy mangoes, yellow tomatoes, spring onions, green pepper, cucumber, lime and coriander. Its definitely not short on flavour but it won’t burn you mouth! Instead it compliments rich meaty dishes like pulled pork or beef barbacoaand brings alive prawns and other fish tacos.
A mouthful of this salsa will also soothe a sore tongue that’s hit its spice limit. For that reason I’d never serve up a taco bar or fajitas without it! (And I’m sure Jon thanks me for it…)
More salivating salsas!
Cool Mango Salsa
- 1 mango ripe, peeled and cubed
- 1 handful yellow tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cucumber diced
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 spring onions sliced
- 1 handful coriander including stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 1 lime juice only
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl (except the lime juice) and stir well.
- Leave to rest for half an hour to allow the salt to draw the moisture out of the tomatoes and cucumber.
- Add the lime juice and rest for another half an hour before serving.