Spicy Black Bean Soup
Spicy Black Bean Soup – a creamy dish full of Mexican flavour.
I don’t like getting political on here. Friends and family know that usually politics is one of my favourite subjects but my blog is meant to be an escape from serious things like my job, religion or politics. Still…I’ll be honest. Lately I’ve been feeling quite down and it’s all because of the state of the London housing market.
Jon and I have grown out of our one bed flat and are desperate to buy a house in our little bit of the North London suburbs. The problem is that the houses are just so damn expensive. Even with both of us working good jobs and putting over half of our salaries into savings each month it’s looking more and more likely that we aren’t going to get what we want (and what we want is a cute two bedroom terraced house with a small garden).
My whole life I have worked hard and as a result I’ve gotten everything I could have wanted…until now. If we move out of London its going to be a very hard lesson to learn – sometimes working hard and doing your best just isn’t enough. Ouch!
Cinco de Mayo
I could sit here all day and worry about where we are going to find the cash to be able to set up home but I’m just too tired. Instead I’m going to take a look back, all the way back to May when the sun was shining and I didn’t have a care in the world. It’s funny how these worries creep up on you out of nowhere to the point they are all you can think of.
Still, back in May I was cooking up a storm in the kitchen. I was doing a whole host of recipe development with Cinco de Mayo in mind but nothing ever managed to make it to the blog. If I’m perfectly honest I’d forgotten that I’d even taken these snaps until I stumbled across them in my dropbox a couple of weeks ago.
It might not be the prettiest looking soup but it has a fantastic creamy texture thanks to the blended black beans and sour cream. The chilli and lime also spike this soup with serious amounts of flavour. A Mexican beer is the perfect accompaniment.
Although I’d forgotten about this recipe that’s not to say we don’t love it! This Spicy Black Bean Soup is a regular in our meal plans and if I go a couple of weeks without cooking it Jon starts making requests. In fact…he’s just seen me writing this post so it looks like we’ll be having it next week.
It’s incredibly easy to make and works on simple favours. If you love Mexican flavours, you’ll love this!
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 small red onions (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 large dried chipotle chilli
- 400g black beans (drained)
- 400ml stock
- 4 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
- Handful of fresh coriander
- In a large flat bottomed pan, fry the onions in little oil for 5-10 minutes or until they've begun to soften.
- Add the garlic and dried spices and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Finally add the black beans to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes until all of the flavours have combined.
- Transfer the beans, onions and spices to a blender and pour over the stock and the juice from the limes.
- Blitz the mixture for 5 minutes or until completely smooth.
- Transfer back to the pan and heat for another 5 minutes until the mixture has thickened.*
- Before serving, stir in sour cream.
- Serve with a sprig of fresh coriander!
* If you're making this soup in a Vitamix blender you can skip this step. Just make sure you've blended the mixture on the "Hot Soup" setting and you'll be able to enjoy the soup steaming hot straight out of the blender.
I’m entering this super soup recipe into the Super Soup link up over at Jo’s Kitchen. Click the badge to find more delicious soup recipes including my Spicy Black Bean Soup.