Make the most of the May bank holidays by treating yourself to a breakfast of Lemon Griddled Asparagus and Poached Egg on Toast sprinkled with golden linseed (a.k.a. flax seeds) and pumpkin seeds for extra crunch!
Brighten up your breakfast
By 11am today I had already achieved more than I do in most weekends. I’d had a lie-in, completed a tricky craft project with my Dad, put on a load of washing, pegged it out in the sunshine and managed to make myself a delicious breakfast. My Lemon Griddled Asparagus with Poached Egg on Toast really set me up for the today and I could tell it was going to be a bright and happy day!
I rarely eat breakfast, which I probably shouldn’t admit. (It is the most important meal of the day after all). But, with our hectic lifestyle I’d rather have an extra half an hour in bed then get up and make something to eat. The only time you’ll find me eating breakfast is on a day like today when I’m on holiday and I have all the time in the world to cook something delicious. It’s May Bank Holiday here in the UK so I have three days to relax, enjoy the sunshine and eat some good food! That starts with breakfast…
In season: Asparagus
What I love about this time of year (beyond the fact that we have lots of bank holidays) is that all of my favourite fruits and veggies are coming in to season. The asparagus season starts on St George’s Day in the UK and the supermarkets are finally stocking British grown varieties. At this time of year it tastes ten times better.
Just last week I shared 10 of my favourite asparagus recipes from the blogosphere in my monthly newsletter. If you haven’t already signed up then make sure you do! British asparagus is so delicious though there’s no need to over complicate things. Charring it in a griddle pan with a little butter and lemon is all it needs.
The combination of asparagus and a poached egg isn’t particularly original. But I add my own touch to this tasty breakfast recipe with added golden linseeds and pumpkin seeds. They may be high in fats but they are good fats. They’re also packed with nutrients like magnesium and manganese, copper, protein and zinc. Linseeds, which are also known as flax seeds, are also a good source of naturally occurring oestrogen and can help with hormone imbalances.
I’m trying to get in the habit of chucking seeds on salads, grilled meats and even muffins. The linseeds and pumpkin seeds not only add extra crunch to the dish but also lots of lovely earthy flavour.
Lemon Griddled Asparagus and Poached Egg on Toast Recipe
This is a rich dish that is full of flavour and a nutritionally great way to start the day. So brighten up your breakfast with this recipe for Lemon Griddled Asparagus and Poached Egg on Toast with Golden Linseeds and Pumpkin Seeds.
- 1 knob of butter
- 1/2 a lemon
- 4 slices of wholemeal bread
- 250g asparagus
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tbsp golden linseed / flax seeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Pepper to taste
- Heat a griddle pan on high and melt the knob of butter.
- Squeeze the half a lemon on to the pan and place the slides of bread in the pan.
- Break off the woody stems of the asparagus and add in to the griddle pan with the toast.
- Heat on a medium-high heat for 5 minutes until char marks begin to form on the bread and the asparagus then turn over for a further 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a pan of water until at a rolling boil.
- Break an egg into a small cup, stir the pan of water until a whirlpool forms and gently drop the egg into the centre of the whirlpool and cook for 5 minutes.
- Place the first egg to one side and cook the second egg in the same way.
- Serve the toast with the griddled asparagus on top, an egg per person and the seeds sprinkled over the top.
- Finish by grating some of the lemon zest over the plates and a crack of black pepper to taste.
Have a better breakfast
If you’re after more tasty breakfast recipes then check out some of these posts from my favourite UK bloggers:
- Vegetable and Berries Bircher Museli from Helen at Fuss Free Flavours
- Mango and Carrot Smoothie from Choclette at Tin and Thyme
- Sweet Potato Pancakes from Becky at Munchies and Munchkins
- Strawberries and Cream Smoothie from Lisa at Lovely Appetite
- Coconut and Maple Apple Porridge from Helen at Fuss Free Flavours
- Wake Up Mary with Cold Brewed Coffee from Claire at Foodie Quine
- Chocolate Granola from Choclette at Tin and Thyme
I hope you have a lovely bank holiday weekend! As ever, if you do make this delicious asparagus and poached egg on toast recipe I’d love to see photos. Tweet me @KitchenGoddess3!