Rolo Stuffed Brownies
Rolo stuffed brownies are the ultimate ooey gooey treat. Who will you give your last rolo stuffed brownie?
It must be love
I have such fond memories of being a teenager. The angsty, 15 year old me couldn’t wait to grow up but looking back it was a much simpler time where I had little to worry about other than hanging out with my friends and whether or not the boy I fancied liked me too!
I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that I did all sorts of cringey things to impress my crush as a teenager and I remember how much of a big deal it was to give someone your last rolo! Part of a clever advertising campaign, sure, but sharing your last ooey-gooey caramel filled rolo became the ultimate sign of love.
If only it was that simple when you are an adult. The last rolo just doesn’t quite cut it when dating, moving in together and marriage is all around you. Luckily for me the course of love has run quite smooth and 12 years later I’m still with my school crush! Though I don’t think if I gave him just my last rolo he’d be quite so impressed…Luckily for him, he gets to be chief recipe tester for the blog so he had the first and last bite of these Rolo Stuffed Brownies!
Brownies + rolos = chocolate heaven
The secret to long lasting love might still be a mystery but the secret to chocolate heaven is as simple as taking my classic chocolate brownie recipe, stuffing it with thick caramel sauce and studding the batter with rolos. The rich, dense brownie contrasts beautifully with the sweet, sticky caramel sauce running through every bite. The chopped rolos on top give a bit more bite to the brownie, a welcome contrast in texture.
I have one motto in both love and baking – ‘more is more’. This recipe for Rolo Stuffed Brownies is so decadent with butter, chocolate and sugar and thick caramel sauce required in large quantities but you really can’t have too much of a good thing. You have to throw yourself in to love 100% and you need to do the same with these brownies! They aren’t healthy but boy will they make your heart flutter!
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g dark chocolate
- 400g caramel sauce
- 200g dark brown sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 130g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 rolls of rolos
- Start by pre-heating your oven to gas mark 4.
- Line a rectangular cake tin with grease proof paper.
- Melt the butter in a pan along with the chocolate and sugar. Once melted completely, allow to cool slightly.
- Once the butter and chocolate mixture is cool, whisk in the eggs, one at a time.
- Next, fold through the flour and cocoa with a pinch of salt.
- Pour half of the brownie batter into the tin.
- Spoon about 3/4 of the caramel sauce gently over the batter until it is all covered.
- Pour the remaining half of the batter on top of the caramel being careful not to disturb it too much.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes or until a crust has formed on top of the brownies but they are bouncy to the touch.
- In the meantime roughly chop the rolos.
- When fresh out of the oven, push the rolo chunks into the top of the brownies - don't be afraid to create cracks in the surface.
- Drizzle the remaining caramel over the brownies.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
One of my favourite things about these brownies it that the caramel in the centre of the brownie and the caramel from the rolos stays soft even when they have cooled down completely. That being said, the best way to enjoy them has to be warmed through with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. Trust me on this!
Who will you give your last rolo brownie to?
What’s your favourite chocolate bar?
If you like these Rolo Stuffed Brownies then you’ll love these brownie and cookie recipes using some of your favourite childhood chocolate bars! Check them out here:
- Creme Egg Chocolate Brownies from Camilla at Fab Food For All!
- Twix Brownies from Lisa at United Cakedom!
- Terry’s Chocolate Orange Stuffed Cookies from Lucy at BakingQueen74!
- Bounty Stuffed Chocolate Fudge Brownies from Kerry at Kerry Cooks!
- Snickers Cookies from The Cozy Cook!
- M&M Smores Brownies from Culinary Hill!