Lemon and Poppy Seed Cakes
This recipe originally started off as a loaf cake. It was super moist and delicious, but I have to admit it was a monster of a cake and never looked as good as it tasted. So I thought I’d downsize and see if I could keep the recipe as zesty and moist, but prettier and daintier than before.
I made these cakes for a little persons 3rd birthday party, Ezra. We visited Laura and her family for his birthday and spent a wonderful day playing in the garden – we set up our own mini Olympics, played in the paddling pool and swung on the swings, and of course we ate lots of lovely cake! Laura made a wonderful birthday cake in the shape of a ladybird (Ezra’s favourite) and I brought along these little lemon and poppy seed cakes.
I chose to decorate some with poppy seeds (for the adults) and fun brightly coloured sprinkles for Phoebe and Ezra. Another cute idea would be to top them with candied lemon peel. You can also change the consistency of the icing to taste.
I like to think these are the perfect summer cake and would look great at any picnic or garden party, so with just a few weeks of sunshine left, I recommend you get out and make these this weekend: you won’t regret it.
- 125g self raising flour
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g butter
- 2 eggs
- Juice of 2 lemons (put half of 1 to the side)
- 125g icing sugar
- In a large bowl cream together the sugar and the butter until soft and creamy.
- Whisk the eggs in another bowl and then whisk slowly into the creamed butter and sugar.
- Make sure the mix is thoroughly combined.
- Mix in the poppy seeds, and then fold in the flour, half at a time. It will get quite thick; loosen the mix by folding in the juice of one and a half lemons.
- Spoon a large, heaped tablespoon of the mix into each cupcake case and then bake in the centre of your oven at gas mark 5 for 20-25mins or until golden.
- Once they are out of the oven allow them to cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool, you can ice them. Start with 125g of icing sugar and add in the leftover lemon juice and mix.
- Thin with water until you get the thickness you desire.
- Decorate and enjoy!