Homemade Baked Beans (vegan)
Ditch the tins and find out just how easy it is to make baked beans at home!
Servings: 4 people
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 white onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.5 tsp dried mixed herbs e.g. oregano, thyme, rosemary
- 0.5 tbsp liquid smoke optional
- chilli flakes optional
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 400 grams tinned tomatoes
- 400 grams tinned borlotti beans 240 grams drained weight
- 400 grams tinned cannellini beans 240 grams drained weight
- salt and pepper to season
- fresh parsley chopped
Add the vegetable oil and diced onion to a sauce pan and fry on a medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until they turn translucent and soften.
Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes making sure that the garlic doesn't catch or it will become bitter.
Next, add the tomato puree, spices and herbs to the saucepan and cook for 1-2 minutes before adding the tinned tomatoes and the beans.
Season with salt and pepper and adjust the herbs and spices to taste.
Cook for 10 minutes until the beans are cooked through and the sauce has reduced down to the desired consistency.
Serve with a sprinkling of fresh parsley.