Almost Fat Free Banana Bread
At some point we all want to have our cake and eat it. But, when you’re on a diet or just trying to cut down on the amount of processed sugars and saturated fats in your diet it can be difficult to find a tasty afternoon treat. I stumbled across this Almost Fat Free Banana Bread on Allrecipes.co.uk.
My Mum gives up cake and chocolate for lent each year, and since I am always trying to cut down on eating naughty things, I thought I would experiment with some of the ingredient swaps in the Almost Fat Free Banana Bread recipe. It required a few tweaks of quantities and a few tweaks to the method but we all LOVED it, and I will definitely be cooking it again.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Almost Fat Free Banana Bread Recipe
Almost-fat-free Banana Bread
- 2 egg whites
- 3 bananas over ripe
- 2 tbsp apple sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- Weight out the dry ingredients and sieve into a big bowl, and preheat the oven to gas mark 4.
- It's also a good idea at this stage to line a loaf tin with grease proof paper or simply grease it.
- Mash up the bananas and place to one side.
- Next, whisk up the egg whites until they form soft peaks and start to hold their shape.
- Once you've whisked the eggs first pour the wet ingredient (minus the egg) into the dry ingredients and stir. It will begin to look doughy.
- Slowly add the egg whites to loosen the mixture.
- Folding as you go to make sure you get lots of air inside!
- Then pour into your loaf tin and bake for 50-55 mins.
- ou can use the normal "poke a knife in" technique to check its done but bear in mind the banana may come back on the knife even if its done
- Y. Alternatively if you tap the top of the loaf it will have formed a golden crust and should sound hollow.
Personally I think Banana Bread whether full fat or an Almost Fat Free Banana Bread is best eaten while still warm! As a result there was not much left of this when I came down this morning!
I’ve picked up a few other virtually fat free cake recipes over the years (for example courgette cakes which aren’t as scary as they sound!) If this fat free banana bread doesn’t take your fancy perhaps these will: