I’ve teamed up with thebar.com to bring you this fun and frisky recipe for Smirnoff Espresso Martinis.
Those that know me well will know that I am a huge cocktail fan. I love the way the best mixologists can come up with amazing flavour combinations and with a little molecular gastronomy can transform a couple of spirits you find in the back of a drinks cupboard into something amazing.
Legend has it, that mixologist Dick Bradsell was the first person to combine espresso coffee with vodka and coffee liqueur, taking ingredients that almost everyone has in the house and turning them into a super chic cocktail fit for a super model.
Know one knows who the precise muse was for the Espresso Martini but apparently the cocktail came about one evening when a well known model walked into Bradsell’s bar and asked for a cocktail that would perk her up.
Smirnoff Espresso martinis fill the mouth with rich depth of flavour which comes from good quality coffee, the honey and Baileys add a little sweetness to balance out the bitter depth of the espresso. The vodka following behind then gives the drinker the final pick me up.
They are bittersweet cocktail perfection.
Recipe for Smirnoff Espresso Martinis
- 50ml Smirnoff espresso flavoured vodka
- 50ml Baileys Irish cream liqueur
- 50ml espresso
- 20ml honey
- Handful of coffee beans
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
- Add the Smirnoff Espresso Vodka, Baileys with a hint of Coffee Flavour, espresso coffee and honey to the shaker.
- Strain into a martini glass or espresso cups.
- Garnish with a couple of coffee beans before serving.
I think the Smirnoff Espresso Martini is best served in a classic espresso cup. It’s a fantastic alternative to the coffee course at a dinner party and a fun way of making sure your guests stay round that little bit longer. Why not serve the martinis with some fresh biscotti or perhaps some amaretti biscuits? Here are some recipes you might like to try:
- Gingerbread Biscotti from Foodie Quine
- Fig and Walnut Biscotti from The Franglais Kitchen
- Hazelnut Mocha Biscotti from Penne For Your Thoughts
- Chocolate Orange Almond and Macadamia Nut Biscotti from Made with Pink
- Spicy Pumpkin Biscotti from Tin and Thyme
I also think these Smirnoff Espresso Martinis are great for sipping on date night, or when the girls are round for a good old gossip! Just one of these and you’ll be chatting away for the rest of the night – as if you need an excuse.
*Supper in the Suburbs encourages you to drink responsibly. For advice on sensible enjoyment of alcohol please visit Drinkaware.