Guest Post from Lifestyles with Lia: Kale and Cannellini Beans
Evening all. I hope you are all feeling incredibly relaxed after the long Easter weekend. I for one was very grateful to have a few days rest. But alas, I was back at work yesterday and so the whirlwind that is daily life resumes.
With that in mind I’m ever so grateful for the lovely Lia who blogs over at Lifestyles with Lia. Lia has kindly offered to share this wonderful recipe for Kale and Canellini Beans. A simple, tasty and best of all HEALTHY dinner that celebrates one of our favourite veggies.
So, without further ado (and because my to-do-list is getting longer by the second…) I had you over to Lia!
Guest Post: Kale and Cannellini Beans
By Lia, from Lifestyles with Lia
I have a secret to share with you.
I’m in love….Well, it’s more like an obsession, really.
I’ve chosen to reveal my new-found love with this guest post on Welcome to Supper in the Suburbs….
I’m in love with Brassica Oleracea….or more commonly known as kale.
This curly, crunchy cutie can conquer any carnivore’s curiosity and its vitamin-packed, fiber-rich qualities will keep you loyal for a lifetime!
All hail, King Kale!
Ok…so this guest post is written a bit tongue-in-cheek, but seriously speaking…
I really do enjoy eating kale at least once a week. I feel stronger and healthier with every bite!
Being the kale craver that I am, the lovely Emma from Supper in the Suburbs asked me to share my super-quick, super-delicious recipe which combines two of my favorites…Kale (of course) and cannellini beans.
Please take a look at my recipe below and I guarantee you’ll fall in love with kale too!
- One 15.5 ounce can of cannellini beans (drained and rinsed under cold water)
- One head of kale (washed well)
- ¾ cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper flakes (if desired)
- grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (if desired)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse the beans under cold water and set aside.
- Wash the kale leaves well.
- Cut the leafy parts away from the tough stem, discarding the stems.
- Chop the kale leaves into approximately 2-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil into a large frying pan. Heat the oil on a medium-high flame.
- Add the chopped garlic and the hot pepper flakes.
- Sauté the garlic and pepper flakes until golden brown (Stir frequently so to be sure not to burn).
- Add the kale leaves and cook for 2-3 minutes, until they begin to wilt but haven’t lost their crunch.
- Add the drained cannellini beans, stirring them into the kale. Take a wooden spoon and press down gently on the beans, so the beans get a bit browned.
- Add salt and pepper. Taste the kale/bean mixture to see if it is seasoned to your liking.
- Turn off the flame on the kale/bean mixture and set aside.
- In a separate, smaller frying pan, add the bread crumbs and toast on a medium flame. (Be sure the bread crumbs don’t burn! Watch them closely and stir them, as they tend toast very quickly.)
- When the bread crumbs are toasted, add them directly on top of the kale/cannellini bean mixture. Sprinkle some Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese over the entire mixture.
- Bring to the table while still warm. Drizzle a fine stream of extra-virgin olive oil on top. Serve with a smile!
Thank you Emma for letting me introduce my recipe to your readers!
And if you’re craving lots of positive feelings, stories and photos about New York City, come find me at my blog, Lifestyles with Lia!
Hope to see you there and I promise to save you some kale!