Brunch is fast becoming one of my favourite things!
Brunch means seriously good food enjoyed guilt free, it means lazy lie-ins after big nights out the day before, it also means sharing time with loved ones and friends. Seriously – what is not to like?
It’s also perfect if you, like me, can’t stomach the thought of breakfast at 7am.
Past Farmhouse Breakfast Weeks have done a good job of showing me that I do feel more energised if I have something on my way in to work but anything more than a smoothie (try this breakfast detox smoothie or banana and coconut smoothie) or a small portion of porridge just makes me feel horrible.
However, these more luxurious breakfast recipes are fantastic for those of you who do have an appetite in the morning or for those of you like me who are lovers of BRUNCH:
and of course this recipe for Skinny Fried Egg and Avocado on Toast.
Here’s how you do it…
- 1 small avocado
- 2 spring onions
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 medium egg
- 2 slices of toast
- Oil spray/frylite
- Place the toast under the grill/in your toaster and toast to your desired colour.
- In the meantime fry the egg the skinny way by using a light coating of oil in your pan. This can be achieved by using an oil spray or frylite.
- Once the oil has heated up, crack the egg into the pan and cook to your liking. (I like mine still with a very runny yolk!)
- While the egg is frying scoop the flesh of an avocado from its skins and remove the stone.
- Slice thinly and squeeze a little lemon over to stop it discolouring.
- Thinly slice your spring onions and place to one side.
- Once the toast has toasted lay the avocado and spring onions over the toast covering as much of the toasts surface as you can (there’s no need to butter your toast as the lemon gives moisture and the avocado is creamy and soft! Serve the skinny fried egg on top!
Top tip: for a different texture, mash the avocado before spreading on the toast.
So why am I ranting and raving about brunch? Well, I was inspired by Farmhouse Breakfast Week (or Shake Up Your Wake Up as it’s also known.)
The campaign runs from 26 Jan – 1 Feb and aims to show people just how important breakfast is both for children AND adults. I may like my breakfast at a slightly later time but it’s certainly better than just grabbing a cup of coffee in the way to work and forgetting about it!
Are you a breakfast person? Let me know in the comment below.